We’re just about 4 months in and man, breastfeeding is hard work! Now that I am back to work I am focused on maintaining my supply. Maintaining supply boils down to many factors, including diet. I love this lactation granola. I can make two batches at a time and keep one at home and one at work to put on top of my yogurt. I usually eat plain greek yogurt and top with sliced banana and this granola. It is easy to whip up (even for a mom with a baby) and will make your kitchen smell delicious.
If you have read anything about lactation recipes you have heard of brewers yeast and flaxseed meal. They are the key ingredients in most lactation boosting recipes. In addition I have found almonds and coconut to be just as effective. To make this granola you will need:
- 3 cups of rolled oats
- I bag sliced almonds
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 4 tablespoons brewers yeast (I ordered it on Amazon)
- 2 tablespoons of flaxseed meal
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Mix your flaxseed meal with 2 tablespoons of water. Set aside.
- Mix oats, almonds, shredded coconut, and brewers yeast in large bowl.
- Melt coconut oil and honey over low heat.
- Add flaxseed meal to oat mixture.
- Coat oat mixture with honey and coconut oil until even.
- Spread evenly on large cookie sheet.
- Bake 10 minutes and stir mixture around on cookie sheet.
- Bake another minutes and stir again.
- Bake a final 10 minutes (30 minutes total).
- Remove from oven and allow mixture to fully cool before storing.
Eat one serving a day, usually 1/2 cup (or more) to maintain your supply. This recipe also makes a great gift if you know any expecting moms.